Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Holiday weekend

A group of us went to C.I.'s place on Martha's Vineyard for the holiday weekend and since Rebecca is a hop, skip and jump away, she invited me to stay two days at her place. (I go back to work Thursday so I'll go home Wednesday.) Her place here looks a lot like Carly Simon's place on the Vineyard which we saw and is very homey. We were out on her deck watching the sky and drinking wine and just talking (that's her, her husband Flyboy and me, her baby was down for the night). It was just so magical, the sky looked so wonderful and I said, "I'm going to blog about this sky." She laughed and said, "You never will. I've sat down at the computer thinking I would and I never do. I can never get the words to paint an accurate verbal picture." And sadly, she's correct. But it's so pretty with the water and the sky and nothing blocking the view. A plane will go overhead every now and then but that's about it.

When she and her husband got married the first time, they had Rebecca's place in the city and he had this place (family vacation home) for the summer. But when they divorced, Rebecca wanted this place and he wanted the condo so they swapped. He says it's much nicer than it used to be and that, between their divorce and remarriage, Rebecca's fixed it up and had it added on to.

I was going to highlight Susan at Random Notes, a post about the Kleenex Work Force, but I can't get the page to pop up (when I click on link, it doesn't go anywhere). If you're willing to scroll, click here for her site and she wrote the post Wednesday April 21st. She apparently hasn't blogged in May. Hope she's okay.

I wish I had more to say. I was going to write about the sky looking like a blue-ish, black piece of velvet with these twinkling sparkles. Aren't you glad I'm not doing a whole post on that. Like Rebecca said, it just doesn't work out when you think you're going to write about how amazing the sky looks.

I can write about Third. I'll do that and call it a night.


The gang picked Cindy Sheehan for a truest this week with her remarks about the peace movement.
This is Senator Russ Feingold.
Ava, C.I. and Jess break down the edition. Jim, Ty and Dona had the weekend off. I took the weekend off myself so I didn't work on this.

Deeply disturbing editorial. I saw the illustration at the top of the piece and knew it was going to be bad news. I registered the illustration before I even paid attention to the title. Dona has pushed for short pieces to be in the mix and she's pushed for illustrations. This illustration proves she's right to insist upon them. And she pushes for both because they break up the space, they give the eye a rest from continuous text.

This is Ava and C.I. as only they can be. No one else has the guts to say what they say. People whisper it, but they won't say it out loud even with Barack's polls continuing to fall, they still are too scared to say the emperor has no clothes on. Ava and C.I. have been pointing out he's stark nude for years now. I love this, especially the "What your parents do in bed is none of your business, young lady!" This is a great piece.

I know all three (Ava, C.I. and Ann) were not looking forward to this feature. It was going to require going through a month of Terry Gross and they just weren't in the mood. But, reading it, I see they ate their spinach and plowed on through to write an amazing piece and to, again, note the gender imbalance in Terry's guests.


Great roundtable. I would have loved to have taken part in this. Thank you to Betty for saying what she thought I would say. (And she was right about that!)

This is a political magazine survey and these kind of make me sad now. Because? We've done these before but we now do them at least once a month. Why? They're one readers favorite piece. And that reader's deploying (or just deployed, I'm not sure) to Iraq. That makes me very sad for her. And I think about when we work on one of these pieces now or when I read one.
And a survey piece on music magazines.
I'm mentioned here but I didn't work on this. In their note, Jess, Ava and C.I. explain that the people who wrote this decided on the credit. So thank you to the gang for including me even though I took the weekend off.

Okay, I'm going to stare out the window a bit, up at the sky, and then doze off. I'll blog at my usual time tonight.

Wait! Want to do one more thing. The following community sites posted Monday:

and

No comments: